New Year, New Home
5 New Year Resolutions Everyone Should Make for the Home
1. Stay Organized
So many people have no trouble getting organized, but tons of trouble staying organized. If you’re one of them, 2018 is the time to step up your game. While this can be especially difficult if you live with kids or other family members who derail your organizational efforts, it’s not impossible. Here are a few tips:
- Put everything away as soon as you get home. Prevent the “front door dump zone” by putting all your items away as soon as you get home. While this is the last thing you want to do at the end of a long day, it’s a simple step that can make a big difference between a nice, clean home and a disaster every time you walk through the door.
- Make a place for everything. Things are more likely to take over your home if they don’t have a designated place to land. With this in mind, follow the “a place for everything, and everything in its place” rule. To make it as obvious as possible, label baskets, shelves, and storage containers and update everyone in your household about where items should live.
- Attack it in chunks. Some places in the home, like the kitchen junk drawer, naturally get out of hand over time. To keep it in check, set a time each week to dump it out and go through it. When you do this regularly, you’ll tackle the job in short, five-minute chunks, rather than the occasional hour-long weekend marathon.
- Pare it down. The fewer belongings you have, the easier it is to organize them. With this in mind, get rid of anything you don’t need. Want help? Check out our decluttering tips below.
Did you know that clutter causes stress? According to Psychology Today, “Messy homes and workspaces leave us feeling anxious, helpless, and overwhelmed.” This year, cut the clutter and the stress by getting rid of items you don’t need. Here are some tips to do it in your household:
- Make it a family affair. When your whole family tackles clutter, it becomes easier and less overwhelming for you. Get each family member involved by putting them in charge of decluttering a specific room or section.
- Set a “6-month” rule. If you haven’t used the item for six months, get rid of it. This counts for clothing, recreational equipment, toys, and kitchen items. Items that gather dust for a six-month period aren’t important to your daily life and won’t affect you if they leave the house.
- Break it into blocks. Decluttering a whole house is overwhelming. Decluttering a drawer in ten minutes is simple. To keep the process digestible, break it into chunks and attack it slowly but surely.
3. Purge Monthly
4. Move Some Furniture
5. Store What You Don’t Need
If you’re tired of digging through your closet to find seasonal items you lost years ago or struggling to find that kayak or set of winter skis, consider getting yourself some storage space. Particularly ideal for apartments or homes where storage room is limited, storage sheds and other storage facilities can keep tabs on your items until you need them again. Climate-controlled, accessible, and user-friendly, storage services are commonly available through moving companies and similar organizations. Storage sheds are available in a wide assortment of sizes to suit your items and can accommodate a short- or long-term lease.
Your New Year’s Resolutions (For the Home)
Who says New Year resolutions can’t apply to the home? When you make and keep these crafty resolutions, you’re sure to enjoy a cleaner, less cluttered, more relaxing home, throughout 2018 and beyond! This, in turn, gives you more time to be around your friends and family, explore your neighborhood, and do the things you love in the New Year.
Need help moving, packing, or storing items in 2018? Move it Cube it – your go-to source for long-distance moving services.
Why Move It Cube It?
GREAT SERVICEMove it Cube it adheres to high standards of quality service to each and everyone of our customers.
PRO MOVERSAll of our moving teams are comprised of trained moving professionals who provide friendly services.
ALL KIND OF MOVESNo matter what type of moving service you need whether Full-Service Moving or DIY Moving we have it covered.
HAPPY CUSTOMERSMove it Cube it provides a one of a kind moving experience. We make your move a memorable one.
Share this Post